Something Happened Exhibition Reflection Post

     


   I don't do photography very often and I especially don't print photos in a professional way, so the exhibition had me a little bit worried that I would get stuck during the process. Surprisingly, I found most of it pretty easy. Since I'm somewhat familiar with photoshop already I was able to pick up the printing process fairly quickly. However, I did run into a lot of issues when it came to keeping the image's quality. One picture in particular would become blurry no matter how I tried to fit it onto the printing paper. And another image, the one of the tree leaves, refused to fit onto the paper without zooming all the way in to a single leaf and turning the image pixelated. 

    Once I got everything printed though, I felt pretty good about most of the prints. I was a little bit worried about hanging them up in the gallery, I wasn't sure how they would look in the frames, but they turned out very well. I managed to make them the perfect size so that frame hid the white borders around the photos which made them look really good. 

    I would probably think about doing more personal photography in the future after this, but I'm not sure if I would ever publish them like I did with these. I enjoyed looking to my surroundings to find the subject I was looking for. Breaking things down into shapes and asking what those shapes mean to me is something I find therapeutic, especially since the meaning can change throughout the course of a year, month, or a week.

"Environments are invisible. Their ground rules, pervasive structure, and overall boundaries elude easy perception." (McLuhan)

    I found this quote somewhat personal because a lot of what I look for in my film and photography is what the environment can tell you on its own. In actuality it can't really tell you anything if you don't look for the meaning yourself, which is something I enjoy doing. Looking at landscapes and places in general can let your imagination run wild and build a story that you yourself create. Something that seems so impersonal can turn deeply personal when you take the time to make meaning for it yourself.

Comments

Popular Posts